Home Birth Preparation List
Here is a list of items to consider having on hand for your labor/birth/postpartum at home:
- A hearty meal for postpartum (prepared and put away ahead of time).
- Labor food: Smooth type foods, such as yogurt, applesauce, pudding, ice
- Drinks: Water, coconut water, labor aid (there are many ways to make this yourself, click here for an example)
- Hydrogen peroxide (1 or 2 large bottles to use for laundry after birth)
- Two sets of sheets for your bed, plus a water proof/plastic sheet (see below for how to make your labor bed)
- 3 mixing bowls or large tupperware (metal or plastic)
- 2 large trash bags
- 7+ large bath towels & 10+ face/wash cloths
- Thermometer (for baby and for water birth)
- 5 receiving blankets for baby
- Ice for ice chips and for making perineal ice packs
- Padsicles (there are many ways to make these yourself, click here for an example)
- Pots and/or kettles set near the stove (for boiling birth tub water).
- Food, snacks and a meal, for after birth
- Tall, kitchen size trash bags (enough for all bed pillows)
- Car seat set up in your car
If desired, for comfort:
- Heating pad
- Herbal sitz bath
- Dermaplast (blue) (spray)
- Adult diapers/Depends
- Essential oil diffuser & Essential Oils
How to organize supplies: Using two large containers (laundry basket, box, clean garbage can, etc.), line one with a garbage bag for clean up of dirty linen. Put your supplies (listed above) into the other container.
How to make your bed: Put set of comfortable sheets on your bed. Put a plastic /water proof sheet over your comfortable sheets. Put second set of sheets over plastic. Use tall kitchen size trash bags over your pillows and put pillowcases over them.
Download a pdf version of the list Home Birth Prep list and Birth Kit
Home Birth Kit
Please plan to have your birth kit on hand by 36 weeks gestation.
The kit includes “disposable” items to be used by your midwife as well as other items necessary for your home birth.
Please do not order less than the suggested number of each item.
There are also add on items available for your convenience.
The kit does not include all items you may need for your home birth.
Please refer to the home birth preparation list for further details.